Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pseudonyms, Pseudonyms, Everywhere a Pseudonym

I decided to write about pseudonyms today because they are near & dear to my heart.  You see, I am a pseudonym.  Bridget isn't my real name.

When I decided to create an online presence, I decided to do so under a pseudonym.  I knew one day I'd be a writer and wanted my "brand" to be established before I ever got published.  Almost ten years later and here I am.

It took me a long time to find a name that would work for me.  I wanted something that I would respond to.  Nothing worse than having someone call out your name and not turning around or acknowledging them.  Now, people yell "Bridget" and I immediately respond.

I also chose to be known under a pseudonym for privacy's sake.  The stories I write (if/when published) are of a spicy nature.  A lot of sex, naughty words, etc.  I grew up in a very conservative household in a very conservative religion.  There are many, many people who would be horrified and horribly offended by what I write if I did so under my real name.

Yes, there are people out there who know who I really am, but I trust them to keep that to themselves.  Should everyone write under a pseudonym?  In all honesty I think it depends on the person.  Many of my favorite authors write under pseudonyms.  Close to their real names, but not real all the same.

I admit I enjoy the sense of anonymity I have.  Yes, it makes making friendships in this writing world weird because I don't know how to say "Bridget isn't my real name," but at the same time, maybe I want the friendship to be on that writerly level.  I don't know if that makes sense, but there you go.

Now y'all know.  I've never hidden it.  But I guess I felt it was time to put it out there for the world to see.  My name is Bridget.  And I like it that way.  :)

1 comment:

Jana said...

I think at one point I thought I wanted to be published, too, so I used a last name pseudonym of Hunter. Now I'm pretty sure I don't care if I ever get published (because I don't even write much anymore) but I enjoy the privacy from nosey family members who might otherwise stumble upon my blog.

Plus, I really like the last name Hunter since it was the last name of my hero on the ol' Drifter's serial. hehehe